The SignON team are driven by listening to what the (potential) users want. V0.1 of the SignON mobile phone App was tested internally. Feedback from this evaluation & responses from round 1 of the co-creation process were used to develop v0.2 for both Android and Apple phones.
VGTC (the Flemish Sign Language Centre) is the centre of knowledge and expertise on Flemish SignLanguage (VGT). It wants to increase, spread and implement knowledge about VGT through collaboration between sign language experts, the Deaf community and professionals in the field in order to increase the social acceptance of VGT and sign language users.
VGTC is hiring a media and communication officer (50% FTE) to work on the European SignON project (www.signon-project.eu). The project is coordinated by Dublin City University (Ireland) and aims to develop a mobile solution for automatic translation between sign languages and spoken/written languages. At present the focus is on the Irish, British, Dutch, Flemish and Spanish sign languages and English, Irish, Dutch and Spanish spoken/written languages. The consortium brings together a total of 17 European partners of which VGTC is responsible for communication, dissemination and exploitation of the project.
- You will join the SignON project team and, together with the project coordinator within VGTC, take care of the implementation of the communication plan.
- You will contribute to the publicity and reputation of SignON.
- You will manage the communication via our website, newsletters and social media channels by keeping them up-to-date at all times.
- You will film and edit the videos for SignON.
- You will help organise and take part in SignON seminars, workshops and events.
- You will work in a team with both VGTC colleagues and external SignON partners.
- You have an excellent knowledge of English and International Sign.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in media and/or communication, or similar by experience.
- You are able to work independently and to define your priorities.
- You are comfortable speaking in front of large groups or in front of a camera.
- You have an understanding of the wishes and needs of the deaf community.
- You support the mission and vision of VGTC.
- You are a team player and are open to a sign language working environment.
- You have skills in filming and editing sign language videos.
- You are experienced with Adobe Premiere Pro and other Adobe programmes.
- You have good social media skills including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- You are available immediately.
- You can immediately work independently because there is a minimum induction period.
- You are domiciled in Belgium.
- You start with a half-time contract of fixed duration (1 year) with the possibility of extension until the end of 2023, depending on the needs of the project.
- Your salary is in accordance with the Joint Committee (PC 329.01) and depends on your educational background.
- You will be working in Antwerp and/or Ghent, occasional work from home is possible.
Please send your application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include a motivated
application in International Sign (maximum 3 minutes) and a CV. You can also use this email address
for questions about the vacancy. For more information about VGTC, see also www.vgtc.be.
The closing date for submitting your application is Monday 6 September 2021. Interviews with the
selected candidates will take place in the week of 27 September 2021.